Mga Pahina

Huwebes

Thursday Thoughts




Teach us to number our days that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
(Psalm 90:12)

When someone says your days are numbered, it will be closely followed by thoughts about “death” and all our “what-if’s?’ and ‘could-have-been” stories.  Those times that you wish you had done while you have plenty of time. 

But the Bible inspires us to number our days- to measure it and levy upon ourselves a sense of limit so to attain the wisdom that shows us what are truly valuable and worthy of our attention, from those that are not.

Unfortunately, we only value this life when we face near-death experiences, encounter head-over-heels issues, sickness, or a life threatening situations that force us to realize the deeper meaning of “life”.

Almost 2 years ago, my life has changed because of numbered days, when I prayed for more seconds than days. Before my mom finally came home to Jesus, I saw firsthand how was it to live a life tormented unto a time frame.  But I saw a joyful heart, a brave heart willing to rest because she knew that it was God waiting for her. That imparted the same strength I had during that times, knowing that she’s really at peace. I remember a verse saying, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." (John 14:27) See how God wants us to have peace all the time because he wants us to acknowledge him in all our ways. If we know that God is always with us, why do we have to embrace fears. A reality bite for me.

Numbering my days, made me realize of the following:

 1)      Life is a season. Indeed, a verse in Ecclesiastes narrates that there’s a time for everything. Teaches me to enjoy every moment in my life, both good and bad times. It helps me enjoy breath taking moments and endure tough times. It always makes me realize that it can’t rain forever. Lo and behold, cheer up dude, haha!

2)      To make better decisions. Yes, numbering my days teaches me how to be wiser in terms of deciding for things that matter. Before, I don’t care about life, I don’t care going home late not thinking if there’s someone patiently waiting for me, I tend to be very care free but when I realized how short life really is, I sorted my priorities and focused on what will truly make my heart happy.   

3)      Love people around me. Yes, I realized that Life is too short to waste my time rebelling or hating someone. I choose to love, and not cling anymore on my ‘what-ifs and could-have-been’s’. But I’m still guilty with this, and I know I’m a work in progress in the eyes of the Lord. I should learn to forgive more, and worry less!

4)      Make the most of my time while I’m still breathing. I thank every morning, for he bless me another day! I think this is by far my greatest realizations. My friends and people close to my heart know how melo-dramatic I am, and very nerbyosa at times. But I know its a mind-over-matter thing, my old sinful nature, and not the will of God in my life. I’m in a journey closer to his will, and I promise to walk his way! I pray to cherish small things, and appreciate more. Tampo less, love more!
 

 My prayer: Lord, teach me to value my heart, my friends, my work, and my life today as I have no assurance of tomorrow. You alone know the number of my days, make it count, and make it worthy in your eyes. May I walk according to your will, and continue to deny myself as I follow you. May you alone be magnified in my life, for you are a sweet God, and forever my father up above. -          M